The winery is located in the municipality Moulis in the eponymous area in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). In the Bordeaux Classification according to the old now no longer valid system, it was last classified in 2003 as "Cru Bourgeois". The name derives from "Mauvais cailloux" (bad rock), which referred to the unfavorable for grain cultivation, stony soil. But this is excellent for viticulture. The origins date back to 1871 when the wine merchant family Petite-Laroche bought property and set up a wine store near the Moulis train station. As a wedding present for his wife, J. Petite-Laroche had the château built in 1875. Finally, in 1929, the estate became owned by the brothers André (1901-1975) and Roger dourthe (1900-1984) acquired. It is now run by the Dourthe family in its sixth generation. In 1987, a viticulture museum was opened with many exhibits. The vineyards cover 63 hectares of vineyards in the municipalities Moulis and Listrac-Médoc. They are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (52%), Merlot (41%) and Petit Verdot (6%). The long-lived red wine matures for 18 to 20 months in 50 to 75% new barriques. The second wine is called "Château Cap de Haut Maucaillou".