The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Estèphe
in the same area in Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). The name means "rose-colored mountain" and is derived from the color of the ferrous soil. The origin goes back to 1778 when the family ségur
Land sold to Etienne Théodore Dumoulin. His son Etienne Dumoulin started building the château in 1815 and planted vineyards at the same time. The Dumoulin family remained the owner until 1866. After several changes of ownership, the estate was finally bought by Louis Charmolüe in 1896 and then managed by Jean-Louis Charmolüe. In 2006 it was acquired by the Bouygues brothers (telecommunications, civil engineering). In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the estate received second place (Deuxième Cru Classé).
The vineyards cover 69 hectares of vineyards and consist of loamy subsoil under reddish, iron-rich gravel soil. They are planted with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%), Cabernet Franc (8%) and Petit Verdot (2%). A special feature are the large squares forming vineyards, which are separated by wide avenues. The extremely long-lasting and dark-colored red wine due to the soil conditions is aged for 18 months in up to 70% new barriques. He is counted among the so-called "Super Seconds", so he would earn the "Premier Cru Classé". Due to the very similar bulky style, the red wine is also called " Château Latour
by Saint-Estèphe ”. The 1970 vintage was with the legendary Paris Wine Tasting
in 1976. The second wine is called "La Dame de Montrose".