The winery is located in the municipality of Cantenac in the area Margaux in the Médoc (Bordeaux) in the immediate vicinity of the famous Château Margaux, Originally named after the first owner, Château de Gasqu, the wine was sold to the farm Louis XIV. (1638-1715). Around 1816, Jeanne de Gasque's estate was sold to the English Major General Charles Palmer (1777-1851), who served under Arthur Wellington (1769-1852). Palmer acquired until 1831 more parcels in the municipalities Cantenac, Issan and Margaux. At the release of the Château Dubignon Part of the vineyards was added to the estate. Finally, the entire property covered over 160 hectares, of which 82 hectares of vineyards. After the general's bankruptcy in 1843, there were several changes of ownership and reductions of the vine stocks. In the 1930s, the remainder of the estate became a syndicate of the three families sickle, Mähler-Besse, Ginestet and Mialhe acquired (the family Mialhe was owner of the Château Pichon-Longueville Comtesse, the Ginestet family used to hold shares in Château Margaux). The successors of the first two families still manage the winery today.
In the Bordeaux Classification 1855 It was awarded third place (Troisième Cru Classé). This "mediocre" rating was due to the ongoing renovation of the château and restructuring of vineyards (these were also evaluation criteria). It could not have been the quality of the wine, because the red wine should have at least equaled the Prime Crus. The main building with high towers on every corner is one of the most beautiful in the Médoc. The château carries the English, Dutch and French flags as a symbol of the nationalities of its former owners. The vineyards cover 52 hectares of vineyards in the two municipalities Margaux and Cantenac. They are with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (47%), Merlot (47%) and Petit Verdot (6%). The red wine, which can be stored for decades, matures for 18 to 24 months in one-third of new ones barriques, Legendary vintages were 1961 (100 points from Robert Parker = perfect wine), 1983 and 1989. The second wine is called "Alter Ego de Palmer" (formerly "Réserve du Général").