The estate is located in the commune of Pessac in the area Pessac-Léognan in Graves (Bordeaux). It is one of the oldest wineries in Bordeaux because it was founded in 1300 by the then Archbishop of Bordeaux Bertrand de Goth (1264-1314). In 1309, he chose the city of Avignon as Pope Clement V for residence, thus establishing the popes' French exile, which existed until 1377. The label therefore still shows the papal insignia today. Clemens left the estate to the diocese Bordeaux, Due to the French Revolution, the property was confiscated in 1791 and sold to the banker Charles Peixotto. It flourished under the subsequent owner Jean-Baptiste Clerc. This significantly enlarged the vineyards and left that too Chateau edify. After an eventful history with numerous owners, was in 1937 hailstorm the majority of the vineyards destroyed.
Two years later it was bought by Paul Montagne and with the support of Émile Peynaud (1912-2004) rebuilt. Today there is a partnership between Paul's son Leo Montagne and Bernard Magrez, who is responsible for the business. The well-known oenologist Michel worked as a consultant Rolland (* 1947). The vineyards cover 32.5 hectares of vineyards. Of these, 30 hectares are with the red wine varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (60%) and Merlot (40%), and 2.5 hectares with the white wine varieties Sémillon (45%), Sauvignon Blanc (45%) and Muscadelle (10%) planted. The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 24 months in at least 70 to 100% new ones barriques, Only this is classified as "Cru Classé" according to the Graves classification. The two second wines are called "Le Clementin du Pape-Clément" and "Le Prelat du Pape-Clément". The white wine is aged in barriques for 12 months.