The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Estèphe
in the eponymous area in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). In the Bordeaux Classification
after the old now no longer valid system, it was last classified in 2003 as "Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel". It was built in 1810, when the Irish-born Frank Phélan merged the two goods Clos de Garamey and Château Ségur. Both formerly belonged to the family ségur
, From 1924 to 1985 it was owned by the Delon family, who then passed it to Xavier Gardinier, formerly general director of the Champagne House Pommery
sold. This introduced the highest quality criteria; the lesser crops of 1984 and 1985 were not marketed under the Château name. Today the estate is managed by Thierry Gardinier. The property comprises a total of 180 hectares, of which 89 are used for viticulture. Of these 64 hectares are in Saint-Estèphe, which are planted with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (46%) and Cabernet Franc (4%). The long-lived red wine matures for 16 to 18 months in 50% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Frank Phélan".