The winery is located in the municipality Pauillac in the eponymous area in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). A direct neighbor is the famous Château Latour, It was built in 1850 by the division of the former Château Pichon-Longueville, the second part is opposite and is called Château Pichon-Longueville Comtesse (see the history there). The full name mentioned on the label is "Château Pichon-Longueville au Baron de Pichon-Longueville". Often the estate is also referred to as "Château Pichon-Baron".
In 1987 it was taken by the insurance group AXA bought and commissioned with the guidance Christian Seely. This was followed by major investments, including the construction of a new fermentation cellar. In the Bordeaux Classification in 1855 the estate received the second rank (Deuxième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 70 hectares of vineyards with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (25%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged 15 to 18 months in 70% new barrels. He is counted among the so-called "Super-Seconds", so would earn the "Premier Cru Classé". The second wine is called "Les Tourelles de Longueville".