The winery is located in the municipality Pauillac in the eponymous area in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the immediate vicinity of the famous Château Latour, The land was acquired between 1686 and 1689 by Pierre de Mazure de Rauzan (he was also the owner of the later divided Château Rauzan in Margaux ). That was the time in the Médoc, when there were still few vineyards here and it was only begun to drain the vast marshes and to cultivate viticulture. His daughter married Baron Jacques de Pichon-Longueville in 1694, who was the first President of the Parliament of Bordeaux. From there on, the estate was called "Château Pichon-Longueville". After the death of his descendant Baron Joseph de Pichon- Longueville in 1850, his three daughters Sophie de Pichon, the Vicomtesse de Lavaur and the Comtesse de Lalande three-fifths and his two sons two-fifths of the estate. Later, the surviving son Raoul took over these two-fifths, which then resulted in the opposite Château Pichon-Longueville Baron originated.
Comtesse de Lalande inherited her two sisters and named her property "Château Pichon-Longueville Comtesse-de-Lalande". This unusually long term is often abbreviated today as "Château Pichon-Comtesse" or "Château Pichon-Lalande". After varied history, the estate was bought in 1925 by the family Miailhe and led for many years by Edouard F. Miailhe, then taken over by his daughter May Elaine de Lencquesaing and led with an iron hand. Finally, in 2006, acquired the champagne house Roederer the majority shares. In the Bordeaux Classification In 1855, the estate had received the second rank (Deuxième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 85 hectares and are with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (45%), Merlot (35%), Cabernet Franc (12%) and Petit Verdot (8%). The decades-storable red wine will be 18 to 24 months in 50% new barriques expanded. He is counted among the "Super-Seconds", so would earn the "Premier Cru Classé". When Wine of the century applies the vintage 1982, of the wine critic Robert Parker was rated 100 points. The second wine is called "Réserve da la Comtesse".
Image: © M. François POINCET - Société Occitmédia