The winery is located in the municipality Pauillac
in the eponymous area in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). In 1750, Jean François de Pontet (Governor-General of the Médoc) acquired a first plot, which was then expanded in 1757 by descendants of adjacent vineyards called "Canet". In 1862 the estate was bought by the wine merchant Hermann Cruse
acquired and remained a long owner. The trading house Cruse bought the 1960 Château Haut-Bages-Libéral
and added some vineyards of this estate to the more profitable Château Pontet-Canet. When this practice became known, Cruse had to part with both possessions. In 1975, it sold the descendant Emanuel Cruse to his son-in-law Guy Tesseron. Today it is headed by his son Alfred. Advising is the well-known oenologist Michel Rolland
(* 1947). In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855 the estate received the fifth rank (Cinquième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 80 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (33%), Cabernet Franc (5%) and Petit Verdot (2%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 16 to 20 months in 60% new oak barrels. The secondary wine from 1982 was called "Les Hauts de Pontet", since the year 2000 "Les Hauts de Pontet-Canet".