The winery is located in the municipality of Cantenac in the area Margaux
in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). The origin goes back to the year 1650, the then owner was Etienne Monteil, the canon of Saint-Émilion. From this family it inherited in 1748 François-Antoine Pouget, who gave it the present name. His daughter Claire married a Pierre-François de Chavaille and for the following one and a half centuries the family Pouget de Chavaille managed the winery. Since 1906, the estate has been owned by the Elie-Guillemet family, who also own the Château Boyd-Cantenac
belongs. Until 1982, both wines were produced there and Pouget was treated as a secondary label of Boyd-Cantenac. Since the year 1983 Pouget is vinified in a separate plant. In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855 it was ranked fourth (Quatrième Cru Classé), with some sources mentioning the name Château Pouget-Lassale. The vineyards cover ten hectares of vineyards with Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (30%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The extremely long-lived red wine matures up to 18 months in 50% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Antoine Pouget" (formerly "Château La Tour Hassac").