The winery is located in the municipality of Cantenac in the area Margaux
in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). The origin lies in the old one Benedictine
from Vertheuil. Here, in the 16th century, the monks laid out a vineyard for their own needs. Later, the wine was marketed as "Le Prieur de Cantenac". In the Bordeaux Classification 1855
the estate received fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé). After numerous owners it came through phylloxera
and the two world wars to total decline.
The wine journalist Alexis Lichine
(1913-1989) took over it in 1951 under the name Château Prieuré-Cantenac, the present received it in 1953. After more than 60 purchases and exchanges of parcels of Premier, Deuxième and Troisième Crus he enlarged the ownership and directed it until his death. His son Sacha Lichine continued the business, enlarged it to its present size and then sold it to the Ballande family in 1999. The vineyards cover 70 hectares of vineyards in the municipalities of Margaux, Cantenac, Labarde, Arsac and Soussans. They are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (54%), Merlot (40%), Petit Verdot (5%) and Cabernet Franc (1%). The long-lived red wine matures for 18 months in 55% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Château de Clairefont".