The winery is located in the municipality Margaux in the eponymous area in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). In 1661, a large estate was bought by the merchant Pierre des Mesures de Rausan (Rauzan) of the Gassies family. This resulted in the wineries Château Desmirail. Château Marquis-de-Terme and Château Rauzan. At the time of the French Revolution (1789-1799), in 1792, the Château Rauzan entered the two wineries Château Rauzan-Ségla and the figurative Château Rauzan-Gassies shared. The second was bought after numerous changes of ownership in 1946 by Paul Quié. The Quié family also owns this today Château Croizet-Bages and more wineries. In the 1980s, the famous oenologist became Professor Émile Peynaud (1912-2004) engaged as a consultant. In the Bordeaux Classification in 1855 it received the second rank (Deuxième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 30 hectares and are with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%) and Cabernet Franc (10%) planted. The long-lived red wine will be 15 to 18 months in 30% new barriques expanded. The second wine is called "Chevalier de Rauzan-Gassies".