The winery is close to the community Saint-Emilion
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux) in the neighborhood of Chateau Pavie
and from Chateau Ausone
, In the 17th century it was owned by the Grailly noble family, but it has an older origin. It was bought by Jules Charoulet in 1873 and has been in the family since then; Masson today. The establishment is classified as a "Grand Cru Classé", which was last confirmed in 2012. The vineyards cover 5.5 hectares and are planted with Merlot (80%) and Cabernet Franc (20%) (Cabernet Sauvignon has been eliminated). The long-lived red wine is aged in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Côte Madeleine".