The estate is located in the municipality of Meyreuil in the French Provence
, Monks of the Carmelite order planted the vineyards here in the 16th century, dug the cellar into the mountain and built the château. At that time it was owned by the “winemaker king” René von Anjou, the count of Provence. The Rougier family has owned it for six generations since 1850. Today it is run by René Rougier and his son Jean-François. The total property covers 100 hectares, of which 17 hectares are used for viticulture. These make up a significant part of the appellation palette
The varieties Grenache Noir, Mourvèdre, Cinsaut, Téoulier Noir, Clairette Blanche, Ugni Blanc, Grenache Blanc and Muscat Blanc are partly cultivated mixed sentence
, The vines are very old, the oldest date from 1891. René Rougier, who has been working the estate since 1952, has never replaced a vine. The rustic wines are traditionally vinified with long fermentation and little new wood. The extremely long-lasting white wine mainly consists of Clairette Blanche (80%), fermented in wooden barrels and is aged for up to two years. The château first became famous for its rosé from Grenache Noir, Mourvèdre and Cinsaut. The long-lived and tannin-rich red wine is blended from numerous varieties with the majority of Mourvèdre.