The winery is located in the community appellation Saint-Julien
in the Médoc
, It bears the name of the former owner General John Talbot (1384-1453). This last commander of the English province of Aquitaine fell in 1453 at the Battle of Castillon against the French. Since 1918 the estate has been owned by the family Cordier
(but no longer related to the Cordier Group). In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855, the estate received the fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover a total of 107 hectares of vineyards. Of these, 102 hectares are planted with the red varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (66%), Merlot (26%), Petit Verdot (5%) and Cabernet Franc (3%). The remaining five hectares are planted with the white varieties Sauvignon Blanc (84%) and Semillon (16%). The decades-storable red wine is aged 15 to 18 months in 60% new oak barrels. The second wine is called Connétable Talbot. The unclassified white wine is called "Caillou Blanc". He is marketed as "one of the oldest Médoc white wines".