The only Grand Cru location or appellation in the community Vougeot in the Burgundian area Cote d'Or, The famous vineyard was built in the 14th century by Cistercian monks created. In 1330, it was surrounded by a high wall that still stands for miles. The monks used it as an "experimental wine garden", with the changing at short intervals soil types that were very accommodating. They are even said to have "cost the floor" to determine the nature or the terroir to determine. Using professional methods, they tested which grape varieties are best suited for cultivation on which soil, as well as the best pruning and the fertilization, In the upper area, the permeable, lean soils are rich in limestone and gravel. Here stands the Château du Clos de Vougeot, where, as part of the "Les Trois Glorieuses" (three glorious days), the annual gathering of the wine brotherhood Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin takes place. In the lower area along the road, the less valued alluvial soils made of clay and clay predominate.
With over 50 hectares, Clos de Vougeot is the largest Grand Cru location on the Côte d'Or. The vineyards are shared by 85 winegrowers, often with small proportions. The extremely long-lived red wine is mainly made from Pinot Noir vinified. But are also allowed Pinot Liébault and Pinot Beurot ( Pinot gris ), theoretically up to 15% Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc be used. Due to the many producers with different winemaking methods, the quality of the red wines is different, but many of them are characterized by a wealth of extracts that only develop fully after ten years at the earliest. In addition to Clos du Vougeot, Clos-Vougeot or Clos Vougeot also appears on the bottle labels. Well-known producers are Arnoux, Bichot (Domaine du Clos Frantin), Confuron-Contetidot, Joseph Drouhin, Drouhin-Laroze, angel, Faiveley, Grivot, Michel Gros, Jadot Lamarche Domaine Leroy, Méo-Camuzet, Georges Mugneret, Prieuré-Roch and Tardi.
Picture: © Bénédecite MANIERE and Jean-Louis BERNUY