The winery (formerly also Château Clos Fourtet) is located opposite the main entrance to the old town of Saint-Emilion
in the same area (Bordeaux). In the Middle Ages there was a fortification named "Camfourtet" (Camp Fourtet). Viticulture was started in the middle of the 18th century by Léon Rulleau. The château was built by his nephew Elie Rulleau. In 1868 the family changed the name to "Clos Fourtet". The estate was bought by Fernand Ginestet in 1919 and became the property of the Empire in 1949 Lurton
and was eventually sold to Philippe Cuvelier in January 2001 for a cumulative $ 66.8 million. It has been classified as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B" since 1955. The vineyards cover 19 hectares of vineyards with Merlot (85%), Cabernet Sauvignon (10%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The long-lived red wine matures up to 18 months in 70% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Domaine de Martialis".