The Port Wine House in the postage - Suburb Vila Nova de Gaia was founded in 1815 by the two Scots, Robert Cockburn and George Wauchope. In 1828, William Greig became the third partner. A year later, the founding sons Archibald and Alexander Cockburn entered the business and opened a branch in London. When the brothers Henry and John Smithies were added in 1845, the company was renamed "Cockburn Smithies & Co.". John Smithies married an Eleanor Cobb. The two families then stayed with the company for many generations. Peter Cobb was the last to join in 1960 and led it from 1980 as a director until 1999.
In 1962 it became the Sherry House Harvey's which had bought the Cockburn competitor Martinez Gassiot a year earlier. Gordon Guimarãens (from the house Fonseca Guimarãens ) took over the function of cellar master of both port companies. Then Cockburn went into possession of Allied Domecq until it was finally released by the US multi in 2005 Fortune Brands was acquired. The property includes Quintas do Tua, Quinta da Santa Maria, Quinta de Val Coelho, Quinta do Atayde and Quinta dos Canais with a total of 1,000 hectares of vineyards. It will port wines Produced in popular styles, the flagship is the Vintage Special Reserve.