Famous Spanish sparkling wine house headquartered in Sant Sadurní d'Anoia (Barcelona province). It consists of several wineries or wineries with a total of 3,245 hectares of vineyards. The first winery was founded in 1551 by the Codorníu family in the town of Sant Sadurni d'Anoia in what is now DO Penedès (Catalonia) founded. In 1659 Maria Anna Codorníu married a Raventós, which is considered the year the company was founded. Anna was the last of the family to be called Codorníu. The direct descendant José Raventós put after a trip to the Champagne A sparkling wine after the early 1870s Champagne method ago. However, he was not the first to erroneously claim, but he used today's standard varieties for the first time and, as the company's boss, played a significant part in the triumph of the Cava,
For a long time the sparkling wine was called Xampàn (Champán). Son Manuel Raventós took over the management of the company in 1885. The Codorniú sparkling wine was awarded a gold medal at the World Exhibition in Barcelona in 1888. From 1897 there was an export, since this year the royal coat of arms is allowed on the label appear. The five-storey winery, built in 1915 and listed as a monument since 1976, with a 30-kilometer labyrinth is located in the middle of a beautiful park. The old bodega was converted into a museum.
The standard cava of the house is made up of the three classic varieties Parellada. Macabeo and Xarello produced. Furthermore, Cavas are also with Chardonnay -Share generated, these are "Codorníu 1551", "Anna de Codorníu" and the lace reserve "Jaume Codorníu". At the beginning of the 1990s, Codorníu opposed the vehement resistance of its big competitor Freixenet approval of the Chardonnay variety. At Codorníu, machine technology became the first in the 1970s remuage (Shaking) the bottles using Gyropalette used. In 2001, 450 years of company history were celebrated. The Spanish King Juan Carlos I (born 1938) visited the Codorníu winery and put his autograph on the label of the bottle, which was given the name "Gran CAVIT Primato" and holds 26 liters. With almost 100 million bottles a year, the company is the second largest cava manufacturer after Freixenet. However, large quantities of still wines are also produced.
Numerous other companies belong to the company. Manuel Raventós became the famous winery in 1914 raimat founded. The company also owns the Masía Bach and Rondel wineries in the Penedès area, the winery Bilbaínas in the Rioja Alta area, as well as its own vineyard research station. In Los Carneros in California the Codorníu Napa winery was opened in 1992, where sparkling wines are produced.