The significant Bordeaux wine trading house was founded in 1886 by Désiré Cordier (+1940) in Toul in the department of Meurthe-et-Moselle. Initially, they limited themselves to the wine trade ( Négociant ), but in 1917 the five wineries became Château Fanning-Lafontaine, Château Gruaud-Larose. Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey. Château Meyney and Château Talbot which were followed by more over the years (today, only the third is in the company). In the First World War, there was a great boom, because the company could conclude a general contract for the supply of wine and spirits to the French army. Out of concern for the enemy troops, the company headquarters was relocated to Bordeaux. After the founder's death in 1940, his son Jean Cordier took over the management of the company in 1947 following an interim management. In 1997, the group Val-d'Orbieu acquired the majority shareholding on Négocioant area,
Finally, in 2001, a merger of the trading companies Cordier and Mestrezat, the second brought a few wineries. The new company now operates under the name Cordier Mestrezat Grands Crus . As part of a structural adjustment, the six wineries Château Blaignan, Château Grand-Puy Ducasse, Château Lamothe-Bergeron, Château Meyney, Château Plagnac and Château de Rayne-Vigneau sold to Banque Crédit-Agricole in 2004. In possession are left Château Clos des Jacobins (St-Émilion) and Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey (Sauternes). Foreign joint ventures exist with the winery Montana in New Zealand and with the winery Ste-Genevíeve Wines in Texas (USA). More than half of the business is export. The products are not distributed through the free market, but exclusively to partners.