At the beginning of the 19th century, the Frenchman Emmanuel Courvoisier, who came from the Jura region, began as a wine trader in Paris. Together with a partner, one of the largest wine and spirits stores in France was built, which in 1811 was even Kaiser Napoleon
(1769-1821) visited. Félix-Joseph Courvoisier (the son) and Louis-Jules Gallois then founded the cognac company in Jarnac in 1835. Although it was only founded a few years after Napoleon's death, the ex-emperor is said to have taken several barrels with him into exile on the island of Sankt Helena (perhaps a preliminary product). During the political unrest in 1848, Félix-Joseph excelled in calming the population and was awarded the title of Knight of the Legion of Honor. In 1869 the company became the court supplier to Napoleon III. (1808-1873). In 1909 the company was sold to the English family Simon. The famous “Napoleon” cognac trademark was introduced here with a silhouette of the Corsican on the label. This quality for the oldest and the best cognacs
The highest class "Account 6" is used by many cognac houses for their best products.
Today Courvoisier is one of the four largest cognac producers and delivers to over 160 countries around the world. The grapes are supplied by 1,500 winemakers from the four best areas, Grande Champagne, Petite Champagne, Fins Bois and Borderies, which are processed in two of their own and four other distilleries. Every year, 2,000 new oak barrels are made from the forests in central France. The annual production is around 90 million bottles. The large product range includes the "Initiale Extra" (replaced the Extra Vieille), a VS (mainly from Fins Bois), the XO "Imperial" and the "Napoleon". The "Collection Erté" was started in 1988. It consists of seven different cognacs, which are bottled in glass decanters created by the French Art Deco master Erté. The last one was created in 1994 and is entitled "La Part des Anges" (share of angels) and contains distillates from the Paradis
back to the year 1892. They are limited to 12,000 bottles each.