Famous small town in Moldova
about 15 km north of the capital Chisinãu with about 14,500 inhabitants. It is also the center of the wine-growing area of the same name. The city has become famous as the first tourist attraction for its underground tunnels system with one of the largest wine collections in the world. The extensive 65 km long tunnels carved into the limestone are comparable to the large Chamapagne cellars in the Champagne, About half of it is used for wine storage. At a depth of up to 100 meters and an area of about 53 hectares, today about 1.25 million bottles of wine are maturing. In one part there are tasting rooms. The underground streets with traffic lights and traffic signs are named after the wines stored in them such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Merlot.
The storage of bottled wines goes back to a decision of the cellar management of 18 August 1954. In 1967, the collection of the same name Cricova winery was declared the official collection of the Republic. This houses partly priceless old vintages of, for example, the famous wineries Château Latour
. Château Mouton-Rothschild
and Domaine de la Romanée-Conti
, It is particularly proud of the only surviving copy of "Mogit Davids Osterwein" from the year 1902. Allegedly, this wine from Jerusalem / Israel is said to be worth $ 100,000 today. Since the end of the Second World War, a part of Hermann Göring's (1893-1946) notorious wine cellar has been kept here. Likewise, brandies are stored here.