Large historic winery or wine cooperative in the municipality of Loiben in the Lower Austrian wine-growing region Wachau on the left Danube, In the more than 1000 years of its development, it made a significant contribution to the Austrian wine history and wine culture. The beginning goes back to the year 860, when King Ludwig the German (804-876) gave the estate "Liupna" (today's Oberloiben) of the Salzburg church. The winery subsequently became the center of colonization and reclamation in this area. In the year 1002, King Henry II (973-1024) gave the monastery Tegernsee "two hooves in the east in Places Liupna ", which led to the creation of new vineyards and the construction of a large farmyard (later Dinstlgut and vicarage), cellars and a press house in neighboring Unterloiben. The estate was up to the 18th century on the extent of the vineyards Supperin, Oberhauser and bulk extended. The possessions in Upper and Unterloiben remained in the property of the church until 1802, then it was a short time from the Nikolaihof managed in Mautern from kk Staatsweingut and then in the count's possession.
In 1832, he inherited Ferdinand Dinstl (Kremser deputy in the Frankfurt parliament in 1849 and mayor of Krems ) and united the main parts of the former church property Salzburg and Tegernsee. He became the sponsor of the Loibner winegrowing, introduced a quality-oriented cellar economy and managed the estate according to cooperative principles. For the grape-yielding hewers, there was a strict reading order regarding the delivery order from the individual vineyards. The hewers had to provide the dishes themselves and mark them with their name. Mash from two different vineyards was not allowed to be placed in a vat, even if the tusker worked both. The cutting of grapes for personal use was permitted only with permission. The harvest often lasted until November. The price of grapes or mash was dependent on the quality and the classed vineyards.
In 1882 Dinstl managed about 25 hectares of vineyards, the rest was leased. At the turn of the century, just like everywhere else in Austria, the wrong took place mildew which caused more damage here than later phylloxera, In the period 1920 to 1930, the conversion to reblausresistente documents, In the renewal of the vineyards were only more quality grape varieties such as Green Valtellina. Riesling. Neuburger and Muscat Ottonel In this respect, the Loibner Musterbetrieb was groundbreaking. After the death of Ferdinand Dinstl in 1913, his sister Hedwig took over the estate and managed almost all the vineyards without leases. With her death in 1930, the Dinstl era ended, there were no heirs.
In the same year, the estate with 26 hectares of arable land and 23 hectares of vineyards was bought by a newly founded cooperative with 42 innovative wine growers by 380,000 shillings (just under 28,000 euros). After a changeful history with steady rise, there were big setbacks during the Second World War, which made the reconstruction necessary. Today, the catchment area of the "Winzergenossenschaft Dinstlgut Loiben" comprises communities mainly from the winegrowing areas Wachau and Kremstal, Around 350 members cultivated a total of 232 hectares of vineyards, for example, in the vineyards Pfaffenberg (Krems), Dinstlgarten, Loibenberg and bulk (all in Loiben). The members were recommended Grüner Veltliner and Riesling for planting. In Loiben the central pressing, the vinification, the bottling and the marketing took place. The traditional business got more and more in trouble and was closed at the end of 2006.