The winery in the Swiss canton Wallis
was founded in 1848 by François-Eugène Masson. In laborious work, the south-west slope of the Montorge hill west of Sion was made arable. It had to create 220 terraces, which were supported by dry stone walls in a total length of 15 kilometers. By means of a sophisticated Irrigation system
was led from the moors of water by means of vapor pressure pump up into the vineyards. The vineyards are 495 to 660 meters above sea level with an average of 50 to 55% and some even with 75% hillside
, The son of the founder Georges brought in 1870 from a visit to the castle Johannisberg
in the Rheingau the Sylvaner
with whom he named Johannisberg in honor of the castle. The first wine from it was produced in 1880.
The winery is best known for its aging sweet wines from this variety and late harvest from other varieties. The vineyards cover 21 hectares of vineyards. Here, in addition to the Silvaner, the white varieties Malvoisie (Pinot Gris), Arvine
, Riesling and Ermitage (Marsanne), as well as the red varieties Pinot Noir, Gamay Noir, Cornalin d 'Aoste (Cornalin), Cornalin du Valais (Rouge du Pays) and Syrah cultivated. In addition to the sweet wines mentioned above, dry white and red wines are produced, including traditional Valais wines Fendant
(White wine from Chasselas) and Dole
(Red wine "Perle Noire" from Pinot Noir and Gamay and as "Blanche").