The historically significant winery is located in the municipality of Wiltingen (Saar area) in the German wine-growing region Moselle. The origin goes back to a donation to the St. Marien monastery in 700. As a result, the monastery also grew wine in the area of today's famous Scharzhofberg site. In 1037, the core area of today's Scharzhof was confirmed as a possession in a document. The name "Scharz" was first mentioned in 1340 in the monastery property directory. After secularization under Napoleon (1769-1821) the estate was auctioned in 1797. By marriage, part of it came into the possession of Felix Müller (1810-1888) in 1837. Under his son Egon Müller I (1853-1932) the family was the sole owner, who brought the estate to great success in the following years and its reputation with successful participation in world exhibitions.
His grandson Egon Müller III. (1919-2001) handed over in 1991 to his son Egon Müller IV., Who is now the fifth generation of the family to run the business. With the 2000 vintage, the new cellar master Stefan Fobian replaced Horst Frank, who had worked successfully at the Scharzhof for decades. The vineyards cover a total of 16 hectares of vineyards in the famous eponymous location Scharzhofberg (7 ha), in the privately owned location Brown dome (4 ha) as well as able Dome. It becomes almost exclusively the variety Riesling cultivated (95%).
The Vintage takes place according to the degree of ripeness of the grapes in several tranches, which are vinified and bottled separately. Only residual sweet wines are made up Trockenbeerenauslese and Ice wine generated. Five to six different readings in a year are not uncommon. The expansion takes place in principle in large wooden barrels. The house 's top wines are golden capsule (In the past, “finest selection” was included on the label). The Rieslings are among the best and most expensive wines in the world and achieve at Auctions Record prices. At the VDP wine auction 2011 in Eberbach Abbey, a 1999 Scharzhofberger TBA fetched 6,433 euros. The "Le Gallais" winery in Wiltingen was taken over in 1954. The wines from the Braune Kupp location are marketed under this label. With the "Kastel Belá" winery of Baron Ullmann in the south of the Slovakia There is a joint venture near the Hungarian border, where dry Rieslings are produced. The winery is a member of VDP (Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter), as well as with the renowned association PFV (Primum Familiae Vini).