The history of this traditional noble family goes back to the 13th century. As representatives of the kings of Hungary, they were partisans and confidants of the House of Habsburg and held the highest offices. The story goes back to the battle of Lackenbach in October 1620 between Nikolaus Graf Esterházy (1583-1645) and Hungarian and Bohemian rebels flag Wavers and the same name brand wine of Neckenmarkt back. In 1622 Count Nikolaus received the reigns of Emperor Ferdinand II (1578-1637) for 400,000 Hungarian guilders as a thank you for his loyalty Eisenstadt and pledged to Forchtenstein. This was the beginning of the rise to the most powerful magnate family (noble landowners) of the Hungarian crown.
Since the emperor was unable to repay the enormous sum, Forchtenstein became Esterházy's inheritance in 1626 and Eisenstadt in 1647. The composer Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) entered the service of Prince Nicholas II Esterházy de Galantha (1765-1833) in 1761 and later became court conductor at his court. His most beautiful works were created here, and some of the wine from the princely cellars was contractually agreed as wages. At that time Esterházy wine was exported to Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia and Poland. The ruler too Maria Theresa (1717-1780) stayed here in 1773 and enjoyed the wine from the castle cellar. And Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) during a visit in view of the impressive treasures from the "Esterházy treasury "To the winged word" Esterházy fairy realm ".
As a result, the Esterházy house significantly influenced the Burgenland viticulture. Paul V. Prince Esterházy (1901-1989) as the twelfth prince finally had to accept the division of his estates in 1921. The western counties Wieselburg, Ödenburg and Eisenburg were named Burgenland affiliated to the new Republic of Austria as the ninth federal state, including 60,000 hectares of Estarházy property. However, the larger part of the property was on Hungarian soil. He set up property directors to manage property in two countries. After the end of the Second World War, all Estarházy possessions in Hungary were expropriated in 1946. In 1948, Prince Paul V had to undergo a show trial with Cardinal Mindszenty. After serving 8 years in prison, he was liberated in 1956 during the popular uprising, from then on lived in Switzerland and managed his Austrian goods from there. His wife, Princess Melinda Esterházy, as a universal heir of around 51,000 hectares of land, founded three foundations until 1996.
For over 350 years, the Esterházy winery was first housed in the Donnerskirchner Meierhof and then from 1947 in the historic cellar of the Esterházy Palace in Eisenstadt. Due to constantly increasing requirements, a new state-of-the-art winery was built in Trausdorf, with eye contact to the Esterházy Castle in Eisenstadt, which uses the most modern technology in Austria winemaking Is provided. It started operating in 2006. The manager of the winery is Stefan Tscheppe, and the well-known French oenologist Stepháne is the advisor Derenoncourt active. Mate Eelek is responsible for the vineyard management, as oenologist and cellar master Alexander Wapp.
The procedures are in red wine making Cryomaceration. mash heating, Overlay with inert gas. maceration with immersion (Pigeage) or overpumping, such as micro-oxygenation and macro oxygenation possible. From delivery to the finished wine, the grapes are processed directly in the white and red wine cellar. The storage room for the maturation of the red wines with 600 Barrels is equipped with a 14 m long and 3.5 m high wall made of natural clay, which for optimal temperature and humidity provides. The bottle storage capacity is 600,000 bottles. A state-of-the-art laboratory serves as a control center with various control options such as cooling and heating technology and temperature control of the tanks.
The vineyards cover 42 hectares of vineyards west of the lake Neusiedl and on the slopes of the Leithagebirges in the communities of Großhöflein (Rieden Föllig, Tatschler ) Rust (Hochbaumgartner, Hunderpfunder, Kulm, Vogelsang ), St. Georgen (nursery, big fire, small fire, krainer, Krakauer, tailor part) and St. Margarethen (llama, hard mix). They all belong to the Burgenland DAC area Leithaberg, Two thirds are the red wine varieties Blaufränkisch. Cabernet Sauvignon. Merlot. Pinot Noir and Zweigelt, as well as a third of the white wines Chardonnay. Pinot Blanc. Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling cultured.
The large product range includes wines in the four lines Classic (traditionally developed varietal wines), Estoras (lat. For Esterházy, red wine and white wine cuvées), Single Cru (layered wines matured in barrels) and the premium red wine blend "Tesoro" (treasury) from Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. The labels show the old baroque palace in Eisenstadt (Classic), the Order of the Golden Fleece, which many Esterházy princes wore (Estoras), as well as historical figures from the Esterházy ancestral gallery (Single Cru).
15 hectares of vines have been grown on the Hungarian Farmed side of the lake (Ödenburger Rieden). They are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. The grapes are brought across the border to Trausdorf and processed here. The branded wine made from it is marketed as a tribute to the "house composer" under the name "Haydn". Around 350,000 bottles of wine are produced annually. Fine spirits (wine, pomace, fruit and fruit), liqueurs and bottle-fermented sparkling wines are also produced. Worth mentioning is the "Burgenland Wine Museum" in the historical cellar vaults of the Esterházy Palace. Over 700 objects from the antiquity a historical and cultural-historical overview of viticulture in Burgenland. Focus are drinking culture, Cellar technology, vineyard and wine trade,