The winery is located on Paarl Mountain in the South African wine-growing district Paarl
, The origin goes back to the year 1693, when the then governor Simon van der Stel
(1639-1712) to the French Huguenot Steven Vervey Land. The first wine was produced in 1699. After several changes of ownership, the property was acquired in 1937 by the Lithuanian Charles Back, expanded by his son Cyril and now run in the third generation by his grandson Charles. This includes the winery Spice route
in the wine-growing district Swartland
, The vineyards cover 300 hectares of vineyards on the southwestern foothills of Paarl Mountain. At higher altitudes there is weathered granite and in the deeper layers sandy loam soil. To 80% red grape varieties are cultivated. There are many innovative trials of new grape varieties for South Africa and interesting blends with the Rhône varieties Carignan, Gamay Noir, Malbec, Mourvèdre and, for the first time, Viognier in South Africa. The traditional ones are Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc (Steen), Merlot, Muscat d'Alexandrie (Hanepoot), Pinotage
, Semillon, Shiraz and Zinfandel. Red wines are also with Macération carbonique
(Carbonic maceration) produced. The premium wines are "Akkerbos" (Chardonnay) and the Rhône-style "Goats de Roam". Almost 1.4 million bottles of wine are produced every year. Since 1980 goats have been bred for the production of cheese on the farm; the goat tower is also the winery landmark.