After the First World War (1914-1918) existed from January 10, 1919 to February 25, 1923, the German "Free State bottleneck", which in today's cultivation area Rheingau was. The west of the Rhine German provinces located were occupied by the Allies. In order to also have a military presence east of the Rhine, the victorious powers near Cologne, Koblenz (American) and Mainz (French) semi-circular bridgeheads set up with a radius of 30 kilometers. Between the latter two there was an unoccupied area in the shape of a bottle neck. The tiny Free State was apart from the rest Germany cut off. The FFI (Free State Bottleneck Initiative) was launched in 1994 by dedicated winemakers and restaurateurs on the 75th anniversary. Its members have undertaken to produce wines that are above the legal quality standards and, in connection with this, to offer typical regional dishes.