One of the oldest tourist streets in Germany
and the first of its kind. The idea of founding was born due to big wine sales problems. The grand opening took place with a mass event on 19 October 1935 in Bad Dürkheim. On October 20, an opening trip with 300 vehicles took place. Within a short time, tourism and sales increased enormously. The wine route extends through the growing area palatinate
In the state Rheinland-Pfalz
from Schweigen-Rechtenbach on the French border in the south to Bockenheim in the north on the edge of Rheinhessen in a length of 85 kilometers. It is marked by a square yellow sign, with a triangular stylized grapes from ten berries. From the opening onwards, the municipalities were able to introduce the addition "an der Weinstraße", which replaced the old "an der Haardt". Two striking buildings mark the beginning and the end. These are the in 1936 inaugurated "Entrance Gate to the German Wine Route" in Schweigen-Rechtenbach and the "House of the German Wine Route" in Bockenheim. From the former, the swastika was chiseled out to erase the Nazi origin.
There are many striking buildings along the entire route. The oldest are the remains of the 2,000-year-old Roman wine estate on the Weilberg north of Bad Dürkheim. Here is also the famous Dürkheim barrel
, The road, also known as the "mule track of bliss," is now a major economic factor. The approximately 23,500 hectares of vineyards on both sides of the road is managed by 5,500 wineries. There are 22 Winzergenossenschaften
, 11 producer groups and 1,500 self-bottlers. The German Wine Route is the most famous tourist route in Germany. Since 1985 (except 1986) the "Erlebnistag Deutsche Weinstraße" is held on the last Sunday in August. The wine road is closed for motorized traffic for eight hours. Between March and October numerous wine festivals take place. The German Wine Queen is elected at the German Wine Festival in Neustadt an der Weinstraße.