The origin of the romantic castle in the municipality of Grafenegg (Etsdorf-Haitzendorf) in Lower Austria, 14 kilometers east of Krems, is at the end of the 13th century. In the following centuries the owners changed several times, expanding the property step by step. At the beginning of the 17th century, the castle was given the shape that is still partially preserved today. In the middle of the 19th century, the castle and an extensive landscaped garden were created under the then owner August Ferdinand Graf Breuner (1801-1900) in the style of the English castle gothic. The castle was completely devastated during the Russian occupation from 1945 to 1955. It was then completely renovated by, Franz Albrecht Metternich-Sándor with the support of the federal and state governments, who then opened the palace to the general public.
Cultural events and exhibitions have been held regularly in Grafenegg Castle since 1971. Today's landlord is Tassilo Metternich-Sándor. The family has been managing the agricultural and forestry business in Grafenegg since 1956 with an area of approximately 6,000 hectares. The formerly extensive wine-growing business was abandoned in 1995. The buildings, the winery in Straß, together with the vineyards around this community, were attached to the winery Johann pot (Straß) and the vineyard in Krems-Rehberg to the winery Nigl Martin (Priel) sold. The vineyard on Pfaffenberg in the municipality of Stein bei Krems in the wine-growing region Kremstal (once part of the Imperial Winery) was sent to the winery Salomon Undhof leased in Krems, which vinifies the two wines "Riesling Schloss Grafenegg" and "Riesling Metternich-Salomon". Marketing is carried out by the Salomon Undhof winery and also at Grafenegg Castle, where the vinotheque also offers important stocks of old wine dating back to 1969.
Picture: © ÖWM Committee Kamptal