Famous Winery in the South African wine field Constantia (see history there in detail). It was the core of the governor's original Constantia farm Simon van der Stel (1639-1712). After his death, the property was transferred to the three parts Groot Constantia, Little Constantia and Bergvliet (today Buitenverwachting ) disassembled and sold. In 1779 a part of the Cloete family was acquired, who built a new cellar in 1791. During this time, the glory of the sweet wine was established. Around the year 1860 it came through mildew and phylloxera to serious problems. Finally, in 1885, the property became property of the government and was used as an experimental wine and agricultural property. At the beginning of the 20th century, production ceased. After a catastrophic fire in 1925, the house was largely restored. In 1969, the mansion became part of the South African Museum of Cultural History, which is particularly focused on rural slavery and the life of slaves during the early Cape colonial era.
In 1993, there was a revival by the new owner Groot Constantia Trust. The property is a great attraction for tourists due to its various facilities, with 450,000 visitors annually. A museum displays 18th-century Cape furniture, paintings and porcelain. The attached wine museum tells the story of viticulture on the Cape. The "Groot Constantia Tavern" and the "Jonkerhuis Restaurant" provide for the physical well-being. The vineyards cover 90 hectares of vineyards. They are with the red wines Cabernet Sauvignon. Merlot. Pinotage and Shiraz ( Syrah ), as well as the white wine varieties Chardonnay. Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc planted. The top product is the red wine "Gouverneurs Blend". There will also be wines in the Port wine style generated. Every year more than half a million bottles of wine are produced.