The world famous Christian hospice in the city Beaune in the department or wine-growing area Côte d'Or in the Burgundy is also aptly called "Hôtel Dieu" (Hotel of God). It was founded in 1443 by Nicolas Rolin (1376-1462), the chancellor of the Burgundian Duke Philip the Good (1396-1467) and his wife Guigone de Salins (1403-1470) in 1443 for charitable purposes. Since then, the income from the associated vineyards and arable land for the poor, as well as for the elderly and nursing are used. The vineyards and arable land increased steadily through donations and inheritances in the subareas Côte de Beaune and Côte de Nuits, After half a millennium, the estate now covers 62 hectares of vineyards, spread over some 40 parcels, all of which have Grand Cru or Premier Cru status.
These include absolute Burgundian top locations such as the famous Corton mountain in the area Aloxe-Corton (see also under Burgundy classification ). The wine is actually unusual for Burgundy cuvées Assembled, not necessarily from a certain Climat (Location, vineyard) must come. Today, these are 27 reds and 11 white wines, each of these cuvées bears the name of a major benefactor. These include personalities such as Nicolas Rolin and Guigione de Salins (the Stifter couple), as well as Raymond Cyrot, Madeleine Collignon, Maurice Drouhin and Paul Chanson.
The wines have been auctioned since 1859 and it is in the nature of things that the knock-down prices are often higher than their actual value. After strong fluctuations in quality, a new winery was built behind the Hôtel-Dieu and all wines in new Barrels expanded. Standardized labels were introduced in 1970. The average annual production of wine is about 700 pièces (Barrels to 228 liters), that is about 1,600 hectoliters of wine (earlier was the old hollow measure queue used). Every year, on the third Sunday in November, the most famous auction the world in the market hall opposite the Hôtel-Dieu place. This is one of three events in three days called "Trois Glorieuse".
As a buyer, dealers, restaurants, organizations and private wine lovers from all over the world appear. The proceeds of the auction will be donated to the hospital, which has state-of-the-art equipment and whose former wards, chapel and art treasures are open to the public. The auction of the year 2007 was the already 147th auction since its founding year 1849. A monetary record result was achieved, the 607 barrels yielded a total of € 3.8 million. On Saturday before organized the famous wine brotherhood Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin in the "Clos du Vougeot "A gala dinner. On Monday, since the 1920s, the traditional lunch established by Comte Jules Lafon Paulée de Meursault,