The Port Wine Institute IVP (Instituto do Vinho do Porto), founded by the Society of Winegrowers (Casa do Douro) and the Panel of Port Wine Exporters (Grémio dos Exportadores do Vinho do Porto ) in 1933, was the common control body and advocacy group for the overall port wine, This year the CIRDD (Comissão Interprofissional da Região Demarcada do Douro) was integrated into the IVP. Since then, the institute has been known as the IVDP (Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e Porto) for the production of port wine and wines from the area Douro responsible. The origins go to the "Companhia Geral da Agricultura das Vinhas do Alto Douro) (General Society for the Vine Growing of the Upper Douro), which in 1756 from Marques de Pombal (1699-1782) was launched.
The IVDP represents the interests of the region's winegrowers and wine dealers, operates advertising and information, promotes tourism and international trade. The head office is in the municipality of Peso da Régua and a branch in postage where most of the wineries and retailers are located. The institute is equipped by the Portuguese Ministry of Finance and Agriculture with extensive competencies for performing public tasks, in particular the creation and monitoring of production rules. Among other things, the amount of grapes that can be processed into port wine is also determined annually. With a paper seal, the “neck” of every “real” port wine will be origin from the region and the production certified according to the regulations of the IVDP. But it says nothing about the exact quality.