The traditional winery is located in the municipality of Trier-Eitelsbach (Ruwer area) in the German wine-growing region Moselle, The eponymous Carthusian monks received it as a gift in 1335 from the Elector Baldwin of Luxembourg (1285-1354) and practiced agriculture and viticulture there in the Middle Ages. In the course of secularization it first came into the possession of the French state in 1803 and was bought by Valentin Leonardy in 1811. After marriage, it became the property of the Rautenstrauch family and later the Tyrell family. Christoph Tyrell took over the sixth generation of the company in 1986 and laid the foundation stone for a return with his administrator Ludwig Breiling. Today the winery is owned by his cousin Albert Behler. Julia Lübcke is the managing director and Sascha Dannhäuser is the cellar master.
The vineyards cover 19 hectares of vineyards in the privately owned Eitelsbacher location Karthäuserhofberg that according to VDP classification model classified as VDP. Large location. You are mainly with that Riesling (almost 18 ha) and some Pinot Blanc ( Pinot Blanc ) planted. In order to ensure an adequate water and nutrient supply in dry years, manure, straw, bark mulch and chopped vine are spread in precisely calculated cans. Through an environmentally friendly, sustainable Management in the vineyard is the biodiversity (Biodiversity) promoted.
The wines are aged exclusively in steel tanks. All wines are basically declassified so that they far exceed the legal minimum must weights of the respective quality levels. Only extremely healthy grapes are used to develop the dry Riesling wines. The wines are bottled with the typical neck ribbon label that has been used for over 100 years. The winery is a member of the associations VDP (Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter) and Fair'n Green,