The Greek winery headquartered in the township Metsovo
in the wine region of the same name in the region Epirus
was created in 2002 by the merger of the two wineries Katogi Averoff and Strofilia. At the end of the 1950s, Evangelos Averoff-Tosistas (1910-1990), born in Metsovo, founded a winery and imported foreign vines, especially Cabernet Sauvignon. For the first time, he blended this variety with indigenous ones such as the indigenous Agiorgitiko
, It was the first cuvée in Greece with an international and a Greek grape variety. The extremely full-bodied red wine was marketed under the name Katogi Averoff
. Since Averoff served as Foreign Minister in Greece from 1956 to 1963 and as Minister of Defense from 1974 to 1981, he could spend little time with the winery.
winery in Metsovo was founded in 1930 and acquired in 1981 by the Maltezos family, which also has a winery in Anavissos (Attica). Strofilia became known in 1985 with a wine made from the indigenous Savatiano and Roditis varieties. In the 1990s, a second winery was opened in Nemea (Peloponnese). After the merger, both names were retained as product names. The total area of vines covers 110 hectares in three regions. In addition to the land wines Katogi and Strofilia from Metsovo, the three OPAP wines Naoussa
(both Peloponnese) produced. Pomace brandy and vinegar are also produced. Other activities include the “Averoff Art Gallery” (museum with works by the most important Greek artists of the 19th and 20th centuries) and the “Katogi Averoff Hotel”, which opened in 2008.