The facility, which is one of the oldest wine-growing institutes in the world, was founded in 1860 in Klosterneuburg (Lower Austria) on the initiative of Eduard Schwäger Freiherr von Hohenbruck (1800-1876), Vice Director of the kk Landwirtschafts-Gesellschaft Wien , im Klosterneuburg opened as "Lower Collegiate Wine School". The head of the canal prelate Adam Schreck was in charge, the technical director was the first director August-Wilhelm Freiherr von Babo (1827-1894), the inventor of the Klosterneuburger Mostwaage (see under Mostgewicht ). The institute was raised to the state educational institution in 1874 and in Gumpoldskirchen. Krems, Mistelbach and Retz Wine-growing schools founded. In 1863 the country took over Lower Austria, In 1870 (in addition to the wine school as an independent institution) the Oenochemical Experimental Station was established and headed by Leonhard Roesler (1839-1910). The next thirty years were (also) of fighting the phylloxera and the mildew embossed.
After the baron of Babo left due to illness, Emerich followed in 1894 Rathay (1845-1900) as director of the school, after his death Leopold Weigert (1851-1916) took over as his successor. In 1902 there was a reorganization, there was only one director who was responsible for both the teaching and the experimental institute. The Oenochemical Experimental Station was opened as an independent institution and the wine investigation department of the chemical-agricultural experimental station in Wien attached. The remaining viticulture department was connected to the wine-growing school and expanded to include the yeast breeding area. The later director of the institute, Wenzel, acquired this subject Seifert 1862-1942) great merit. In 1897, a four hectare orchard test facility was created in Kierling and taken into account in the new name "kk Higher School for Viticulture and Fruit Cultivation".
In 1909 Seifert became the new director, followed in 1922 by Ludwig Linsbauer (1869-1940). In 1938, Dr. Fritz Zweigelt (1888-1964) until the end of the war. In the last days of the war in April 1945, the entire vinotheque with valuable inventory was destroyed by a bomb hit back in the early days. Between 1995 and 1998, the entire institute was completely renovated. Part of the grape breeding department is the "Götzhof trial estate" in Langenzersdorf with 17 hectares of vineyards on the southern slope of the Bisamberg and an appropriate infrastructure.
The institute introduced numerous innovations. These include sulfur-free wine, new red wine technologies, first color opaque wines from Austrian varieties, quality brandy made from local grapes and a first dealcoholized wine, Numerous also took place at the institute new varieties like among others Blauburger. Goldburger. Jubiläumsrebe and (named after the former directors) Rathay. Roesler. Seifert and Zweigelt, By selecting old vine stocks, improvements were made to Pinot Blanc, Riesling, Traminer and Welschriesling. From the 1990s, the institute achieved through DNA analysis significant results regarding grape variety descent. Among other things, by Ferdinand Regner the father variety of Müller-Thurgau determined and the high importance of the variety groups Frankish and Heunisch ( Gouais Blanc ) as a gene pool for many European varieties. Famous students were at the Wine Institute Lenz Moser III. (1905-1978, inventor of the high culture ) and the winegrower Franz Kober (1864-1943).
The “Höhere Bundeslehranstalt” (for training and further education) and the “Federal Office for Wine and Fruit Growing in Klosterneuburg” (for research and advice) is the Austrian Teaching and Research Center for Wine and Fruit Growing and a department directly subordinate to the Ministry of Life. The "Höhere Bundeslehranstalt" is the only one in Austria that, in addition to a good general education, provides comprehensive specialist training at a high level in the areas of viticulture and cellar management, fruit growing and fruit processing, building on a good scientific basis and accompanied by modern training in the economic field. In the "Federal Office and Research Center", application-oriented and practice-related research projects and test positions are processed, in addition, expert opinions and test certificates are prepared and training courses and advice are offered in the service area (website LFZ Klosterneuburg ).
About 150 employees of the institute are involved in a variety of teaching, research and advisory tasks. Due to the close spatial and personnel integration, a quick and sensitive reaction to problems of science and practice is possible. The aim of the work is to offer innovative and sustainable approaches to solving practical problems, production techniques in ecological and to optimize it from an economic point of view as well as to expand general knowledge and knowledge. Another important wine-growing institute in Austria is Silberberg (Kogelberg near Leibnitz in the südsteiermark ). See also under Wine-producing institutions,