The institution, which is one of the oldest wine-growing institutes or viticulture schools in the world, was founded in 1860 by the initiative of Eduard Schwäger Freiherr von Hohenbruck (1800-1876), Vice-Director of the kk Agricultural Society Wien Stift Klosterneuburg (Lower Austria) as "Lower Stiftsweinbauschule" opened. The Oberleitung had the Chorherrenstifts Prelate Adam Schreck, the technical management was the first director August-Wilhelm Freiherr von Babo (1827-1894), the inventor of the Klosterneuburger Mostwaage (see under Mostgewicht ). The institute was raised in 1874 to the state educational institution and in Gumpoldskirchen. Krems, Mistelbach and Retz Viticulture technical schools founded. In 1863 took over a takeover by the country Lower Austria, In 1870 (in addition to the wine school as an independent institution) the Oenochemical experimental station was established and with the leadership Leonhard Roesler (1839-1910). The next thirty years were (also) of fighting the phylloxera and the mildew embossed.
After the illness-related departure of Baron von Babo in 1894 Emerich followed Rathay (1845-1900) as a teacher-director, after his death then took over Leopold Weigert (1851-1916) as his successor the line. In 1902 there was a reorganization, there was only one more director, who was responsible for both the Lehr-, as well as the experimental institute. The Oenochemical Experimental Station was abandoned as an independent institution and affiliated the Department of Wine Research of the chemical-agricultural experimental station in Wien . The remaining department of viticulture was connected to the viticulture school and extended to the range Hefereien-breeding. Regarding this topic, the later Institute Director Wenzel acquired Seifert 1862-1942) great merits. In 1897, Kierling created a four-hectare orchard trial plant and took this into account in the new name "kk Höhere Lehranstalt für Wein- und Obstbau".
In 1909 Seifert became the new director, succeeded in 1922 Ludwig Linsbauer (1869-1940). In 1938, Dr. Fritz Zweigelt (1888-1964) the line until the end of the war. In the last days of the war, in April 1945, the entire vinotheque was destroyed by valuable bombs, right back to the Wilhelminian era. In the period 1995 to 1998 a comprehensive general renovation of the entire institute took place. Part of the department vine cultivation is the "experimental estate Götzhof" in Langenzersdorf with 17 hectares of vineyards on the southern slope of the Bisamberg and a corresponding infrastructure.
The institute introduced numerous innovations. These include sulfur-free wine, new red wine technologies, first color-covered wines from Austrian varieties, quality brandy from local grapes and a first de-alcoholized wine, There were also numerous at the institute new varieties like among others Blauburger. Goldburger. Jubiläumsrebe and (named after the former directors) Rathay. Roesler. Seifert and Zweigelt, By selecting old grape varieties, improvements have been achieved in Pinot Blanc, Riesling, Traminer and Welschriesling. From the 1990s, the Institute achieved by means of DNA analysis significant results regarding grape descent. Among other things, was by Ferdinand Regner the fathers of the Müller-Thurgau determined and the high importance of the variety groups Frankish and Heunisch ( Gouais blanc ) as a gene pool for many European varieties. Famous students at the wine institute were Lenz Moser III. (1905-1978, inventor of high culture ) and the wine-growing engineer Franz Kober (1864-1943).
The "Höhere Bundeslehranstalt" (for further education and training) and the "Bundesamt für Wein- und Obstbau in Klosterneuburg" (for research and consulting) is the Austrian Teaching and Research Center for Viticulture and Fruit Growing and a department directly behind the Ministry of Life. The "Höhere Bundeslehranstalt" is the only one in Austria to provide a good general education, as well as comprehensive technical education at a high level in viticulture and the cellar, fruit and fruit processing, based on a good scientific basis and accompanied by modern education in the economic field. The "Federal Office and Research Center" deals with application-oriented and practice-related research projects and experimental assignments. In addition, reports and test certificates are prepared in the service sector, and further education courses and counseling are offered (Website LFZ Klosterneuburg ).
About 150 employees of the institute are involved in a variety of teaching, research and consulting tasks. Due to the close spatial and personal interdependence, a rapid and sensitive reaction to problems of science and practice is possible. The aim of the thesis is to offer innovative and sustainable approaches to solving practical problems, production techniques in ecological and to optimize economic and general knowledge and knowledge. Another important wine institute in Austria is Silberberg (Kogelberg near Leibnitz in the südsteiermark ). See also below Wine-producing institutions,