The city on the left bank of Danube and west of the river Krems is the center of the winegrowing area Kremstal in Lower Austria, The place was first mentioned in 995 as "Urbs chremisa". Already in 1305 Krems was elevated to the city and in the city law the connection to the viticulture by the addition "the honor of the city lies mostly in the vineyards" as well as with the name "Cittá del Vino" documented. For Hochblüte more than 50 reading farms (mutatis mutandis cooperatives) spiritual sovereigns from Upper Austria, Salzburg, Bavaria and South Bohemia in Krems and stone were economically active. In the 13th century, almost half of the Kremser vineyards were owned by the monasteries. The city of Krems, with 100,000 liters, covered three-quarters of the wine exports of Lower Austria. At that time, a quarter of the city's population lived from viticulture.
In 1875 a viticulture school was founded in Krems. To Krems count the districts Angern, Egelsee, Gneixendorf, Hollenburg, Krems, Rehberg, stone and Thallern. In 1614, the foundation stone of the Capuchin monastery and Marian pilgrimage place UND, which lies between Krems and Stein, was laid. The Danube overflowed because of weeks of rainfall and became the namesake. At the beginning of construction it was called "Claustrum ad undam" - the monastery to the Danube wave. Today, the "Weinkolleg Kloster UND" in the historic cellars offers beginners and professional degustators interested in wine the opportunity to taste over a hundred wines from all eight Lower Austrian winegrowing regions.
On the approximately 1,000 hectares mostly terraced Vineyards dominate with about two-thirds of the Grüner Veltliner, followed by Riesling and Traminer. The Kremser Rieden (vineyards) are among the oldest in Austria. After the Second World War, major sites were created, which were named after the most famous vineyard. The Riede Pfaffenberg in the district Stein is already famous since 1230 and belonged earlier to the church. Today she is one of the " Hall Pfaffenberg "(a part of the large Kremstal) with 185 hectares of vineyards, which is also the vineyards Wieden and Wachtberg includes. In 1208 became the famous Riede sandpit first mentioned, today it lies in the center of the likewise designated large situation and designates also a well-known one brand wine,
Other vineyards are Altenburg (first mentioned in 1188), Frechau, Gebling. Kögl. Goldberg (Here in 1926 the first became Müller-Thurgau planted in Austria), dog and Weinzierl. After the painter and son of the city Martin Johann Schmidt (1718-1801) the traditional area mark "Kremser Schmidt" was named. This portrayed Empress Maria Theresa (1717-1780) and was often paid his services in wine. The history of Kremser viticulture has been extensively documented since 1996 in the Viticulture Museum in the former Dominican monastery, which was founded in 1236. A big wine cooperative is Winegrower Krems, the the Winery City Krems is owned by the municipality. In Krems there is also one of the examination centers for the quality wine test regarding the issue of the State test number,
Picture below: © Robert Herbst - Point of View