Term for the type of control used in the last third of the 19th century phylloxera by injecting liquid carbon disulphide (carbon disulfide) into the soil using large syringes. The colorless, malodorous liquid is obtained by passing sulfur vapors over glowing charcoal. The procedure had already been successful with the grain beetle and was first tested in Bordeaux against the phylloxera in Bordeaux by the Burgundian chemist Baron Paul Thénard (1819-1884) in 1869.
In the first attempts, the agent was used far too excessively, so that not only the phylloxera, but also all other living things in the vineyard were killed. The agent was not harmless due to the toxic vapors and very flammable. As a result, this procedure was then practiced all over Europe. In Austria, the winemaker Franz made in this regard Kober (1864-1943) earned.
At the height of the phylloxera catastrophe or the successful control of this pest, there were two diametrical camps at the time with regard to the control options - one based on the one already known at the time finishing and the others on chemistry. Ultimately, however, it was only moderately successful, since it was an extremely complex (30,000 holes per hectare had to be set) and expensive process. However, it was still used occasionally until the 1920s. The picture shows the painting "Combating phylloxera with the carbon disulphide injector", which is in today Klosterneuburg Wine Institute hangs.