In 1847 the company Kempf & Kupferberg was founded by Christian Adalbert Kupferberg (1824-1876) together with his partner Robert Kempf in Neustadt in the Palatinate with the aim to record the "Fabrication of sparkling wines". In 1850 Kupferberg separated from Kempf and founded in Mainz a private champagne house. On a hill above the town of Mainz - the Kästrich - he found ideal conditions, because underground were large, extensive basement facilities available. Thanks to the excellent quality of the sparkling wine, Kupferberg quickly gained a large customer base, especially in the UK. The company developed into an export pioneer for German sparkling wine, namely the Rheinwein, Moselwein, Hochheimer and Sparkling Moselle.
Already in 1852, the champagne brand "Kupferberg Gold" was launched, which has remained the company's flagship in five variants to this day. In 1862 the brand was with two more products on the wine list represented at the World's Fair in London. In 1870, the German Chancellor Otto Prince of Bismarck (1815-1898) several days in the house Kupferberg. Of the founder's eight children, Constanze married the champagne manufacturer Arthur Bricout in 1869. His son Franz became his successor. Hugo and Florian founded a bottle factory (today's Glashütte Budenheim).
In 1872, the company was converted into a Commandit company on shares, sole owner was director Christian Adalbert Kupferberg. It is worth noting that in 1912 the first large mobile neon sign in Germany was implemented in the Berlin Friedrichstrasse. For the first time, a total of 2600 light bulbs represented a sequence of movements: the pouring of champagne into the glass, from which small bubbles rose. In the parent company in the city center of Mainz, there is a company museum as an attraction and the "grape room" built in Art Nouveau style. In the museum you can visit the world's largest collection of Champagne and Champagne glasses from the Venetian "Cristallo" from the Renaissance to the highly modern and extravagant designer piece with over 500 glasses from many eras and countries.
Today's product range includes the Classic line "Kupferberg Gold" (in white, red and rosé), the "Nostalgia Cuvée" (Riesling) and the champagne-made Cuvée de Prestige "Prestige Brood". In 2000, the company's 150th anniversary was celebrated. The production in 2007 was 7.2 million bottles of sparkling wine. After the German company Racke In the year 1978 the copper mountain stock majority had taken over, finally the mark "copper mountain" in the year 2004 by the German enterprise for sparkling wine, wine and spirits Henkell Bought. The cellar facilities were from Grands Chais de France accepted.