The winery is located in the city of Haro in the center of the Spanish Rioja sub-area Rioja Alta
, It was founded in 1890 by a group of five friendly families. It started with the support of French oenologist Alfonso Vigier. Initially, there were 33 large woodpans and 3,500 barriques from the Bordeaux. Then at the turn of the century the phylloxera
the Pyrenees and destroyed a large part of the vines. With the use of refined vines and conversion to mostly bottling, as well as export overseas began the successful era of the winery. In 1941, the company was converted into an AG, with descendants of some founding families still sitting on the Supervisory Board today. In 1996, a new winery was built in a neighboring village. The vineyards cover 450 hectares of vines in Briones, Cenicero, Fuenmayor, Labastida and Rodezno. There are also grapes purchased. The Rioja produced here in the classic style are among the best in the region. The philosophy is based on a relatively short, only two weeks long mash period and an unusually long aging time in cask and bottle aging. For the expansion are over 50,000 oak barrels of predominantly American oak available.