World-famous restaurant (German Silver Tower) in Paris on the left bank of the Seine near the Notre-Dame de Paris. It is said that it was founded in 1582 by a chef named Rourteau. From the dining room on the top floor you can enjoy a view of Paris and the Seine. Famous early regular guests included the three French kings Henry III. (1551-1589), Henry IV (1553-1610) and Louis XIV (1638-1715), as well as cardinal Richelieu (1585-1642) and the noble writer Marie de Rabutin-Chantal, Marquise de Sévigné (1626-1696). The restaurant is famous for its duck dishes. The recipe for the “Canard Tour d'Argent” was conceived in 1890 by the then owner of the restaurant, Frédéric Delair. Great care is taken in every detail of the dish, from raising the ducks, slaughtering them, preparing them and serving them. This way the duck is strangled and therefore not bled and is therefore particularly juicy. The sauce is prepared from a duck carcass (bone structure) and liver using a duck press at the table.
When the German occupiers marched into the open city of Paris on June 12, 1940, Claude Terrail, the son of the then owner André Terrail, was wisely organized to organize a rescue operation over a six-hour period. Back then, 100,000 wines were stored in the basement of the restaurant. The 20,000 most valuable bottles were walled up in a niche. Among them were many from the 19th century, especially from the Châteaux of the famous Bordeaux classification 1855, Soon after, a personal representative from Hermann Göring came to the restaurant to confiscate old wines, because the Germans knew what treasures were hidden here. The best wines were saved, but 80,000 bottles were stolen.
The wine cellar now comprises around 450,000 bottles, which are divided into 15,000 references. From 1933 to 1952 and from 1953 to 1996, La Tour d'Argent had three stars in the Guide Michelin restaurant guide, but since 2006 it has had only one. The right picture shows the extensive wine list,