The renowned winery in the municipality of Rohrendorf near Krems in the Lower Austrian wine region Kremstal is one of the oldest and largest in Austria, In 1040 Emperor Heinrich III. (1017-1056) of Ebersberg Abbey from the Order of Benedictine in Bavaria vineyards and the associated cellar in today's wine-growing community Rohrendorf. However, parts of the manor cellar were already dug into the mighty loess terraces between 970 and 980. As administrator of the Ebersberg Abbey, a “Moser” first appeared in 1124, he is an ancestor with the Moser family, which has been fully documented since the 16th century. After several changes of ownership and abolition of serfdom, Anton Moser became the owner of the vineyards in 1849 and was then known as tithe cellar named Kellers in Rohrendorf, which has remained the parent company to this day. In 1880 Laurenz Moser I took over the cellar in Rohrendorf and expanded the vineyard area.
His son Laurenz Moser II succeeded him in 1913. His son Dr. Laurenz Moser III. (1905-1978) graduated in 1922 from Klosterneuburg Wine Institute from. He then went on study trips to almost all European wine-growing regions. He took over the estate in 1929. As early as the late 1920s, he made attempts to support it with a wire frame training system, which he high culture named and which after him is also called Lenz Moser education or Moser culture. From 1936 this was used exclusively in our own company. The textbook "Wine-growing in a different way" published in 1950 has been translated into many languages. Moser gave numerous lectures and published many publications in Germany and abroad.
After the severe winter frost in 1956, civilization finally made its breakthrough. As a result, almost the entire Austrian viticulture was converted to the system within a few years. Laurenz Moser III. was a long-time mayor and then honorary citizen of his hometown Rohrendorf. For his services, he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences in Wien in 1970 and was awarded the title of "professor". Out of gratitude, a monument was erected by the Austrian winegrowers in Rohrendorf in 1980. His son Laurenz Moser IV (* 1929) propagated as a pioneer on a large scale from the mid-1970s Organic viticulture, Under his leadership, first attempts were made in Austria to develop red wines in barriques Mailberg ) and he also enforced the cultivation permit for the Cabernet Sauvignon variety from 1982. In 1986 the vineyards with the nursery separated in Rohrendorf and an operation under Sepp Moser managed by Nikolaus Moser at two locations.
On September 1, 1986, the Lenz Moser winery was incorporated into the GHG Linz (subsidiary of VOG AG). As number 15 in the family generation, Lenz Moser V. (* 1956) took over the management of the company until 1997. At the end of this year he then switched to the California wine multi Mondavi and set up the European branch "Robert Mondavi Europe" in Germany in Frankfurt am Main. After the sale of Mondavi to the US multi Constellation Brands He returned to Austria in 2005 and founded the independent wine company with two partners Laurenz V.
Already in 1998 the conversion of the winery into an AG took place. Today Walter Holzner and Andreas Pirschl run the "Lenz Moser AG winery". Ing. Ernest Großauer is responsible as cellar master. The head office is at Rohrendorf near Krems, from here all marketing and sales activities are controlled. The vinification takes place for each wine type and grape variety in steel tanks, large wooden barrels and barriques. There have often been cooperations with winegrowers and for decades Winzergenossenschaften out Lower Austria and Burgenland, The winegrowers work according to agreed quality guidelines and are looked after by Lenz Moser oenologists.
A special feature is the historic 1,000 bucket barrel with a volume of 56,500 liters or 75,333 bottles and an empty weight of 13,000 kilograms. Elaborate carvings adorn the Fassbosen. The barrel, which has not been used for a long time, was made with great effort Oak wood Completely renovated from local forests while preserving the barrel floor. It was filled with red wine for the first time in autumn 2017. The solemn inauguration with wine baptism the barrel was carried out in November this year.
In addition to the parent company, the Siegendorf monastery cellar in the Burgenland area Leithaberg and that since 1969 Castle winery Maltese knightly order in Mailberg in the Weinviertel cultivated with a total of 75 hectares of vineyards. The total area is around 2,700 hectares. Around 19 million bottles of wine and sparkling wine are produced annually, of which around a third are exported to Germany, the most important market. The most important wine brands and wine lines are Lenz Moser Prestige, Lenz Moser Selection, Alter Knabe, Fête Rosé, Pfiffikus, Storch and Servus. See also under Lenz Moser family,