The origin of the important wine trading and wine producing house Louis Latour with headquarters in Burgundian Beaune dates back to 1768 when Jean Latour was in the parish Aloxe-Corton (at that time it was still called Aloxe) vines planted. However, his ancestors had already started wine-growing east of the city of Beaune from the beginning of the 16th century. The year 1797 is considered to be the year the company was founded, which means that in 1997 the company celebrated its 200th anniversary. The founding son, son Louis Latour I, expanded the property on vineyards in the communities and locations Chambertin. Montrachet and Romanée-Saint-Vivant, It was not until much later that the family started trading wine when Louis Latour III. bought the trading house Lamarosse in 1867. In 1891, the Château Corton-Grancey (15 hectares) with cellar facilities and renowned locations around the famous Corton mountain was acquired. The third Louis is also credited with recognizing the importance of the Cortonberg for white wines. after the phylloxera had destroyed the stocks of Aligoté and Pinot Noir, because he planted Corton-Charlemagne Chardonnay in today's Grand Cru location.
In collaboration with the wine cooperative Lugny in the area Mâconnais white wines are produced. After the repeal of the American prohibition Latour exported from here in the 1930s as today Pouilly-Fuissé well-known (then Grand Pouilly) white wine to the USA. In the early 1980s, Latour was also in the countryside Ardèche on the right Bank of the Rhône active. A total of 180 contract winemakers deliver from 380 hectares of vineyards Chardonnay grapes that in the Latour winery in Alba too IGP wines ) are processed. At the end of the 1980s, vineyards became part of the department var in the Provence bought that out there Pinot Noir Red wines obtained are marketed under Domaine de Valmoissine. The red wines are a short, only a few seconds long (not uncontroversial) pasteurization subjected. The own property comprises around 50 hectares of vineyards. The house is now managed by Louis-Fabrice Latour (son of Louis Latour VI.) In the eighth generation of families. With the Château Latour in Pauillac-Médoc there is no relationship.