Historical landscape and former county in the Saône-et-Loire département in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region, whose name derives from the city of Mâcon. It is part of the winegrowing region Burgundy, Already the Roman poet Ausonius (310-395) mentioned the wines from this area. In the 11th and 12th centuries, the monks of the Cistercian Order on a larger scale vines. The area became famous in 1660, when the winegrower Claude Brosse delivered wine to the royal palace in Versailles and there at a fair the French "Sun King" Louis XIV. (1638-1715) attracted attention for his unusual size. The king spoke to him, tasted his wine after the mass and was so enthusiastic that the royal court was regularly supplied with it. A small but important part of the landscape for viticulture is called Haut-Mâconnais. This part corresponds approximately to the borders of the former canton of Lugny with the capital Lugny.