At the beginning of the 20th century there was a big sales crisis for the Madeira
which is a consequence of the introduced in the 1850s phylloxera
and the real one that appeared in the 1870s mildew
was. In 1913, Welsh & Cunha and Henriques & Camara and other trading companies merged to form the "Madeira Wine Association" on the Portuguese island in order to achieve synergy effects by bundling production costs. The individual Madeira companies and brands remained largely independent. The two Madeira houses, Blandy's and Leacock's, merged in 1925 and became the main owners, with John Ernest Blandy as chairman and Thomas L. Mullins as managing director. As a result, other companies were added, including the large company Cossart Gordon
in 1953. There was a re-grouping under the name "Madeira Wine Company" in 1981.
In 1988 it went Blandy a partnership with the port wine house Symington
to use their know-how in quality-oriented production and the worldwide sales network. These two companies are now the main owners. The main cellar in Funchal, which was renovated in 2000, produces a total of 120 different brands from the 26 Madeira houses. Artificial heating during ripening takes place in giant tanks. The wines are stored together, but keep the individual style of the individual houses. The most famous brands are Barros, Blandy. Cossart Gordon
, Funchal Wine Company, Krohn Brothers, Leacock's, Luiz Gomes da Conceicão, Miles and Shortridge Lawton. Vintage wines dating back to the early 19th century are marketed. The Madeira production share of all brands is about 60%.