The winery in Atripalda in the province of Avellino in the Italian region Campania
was founded in 1878 on an existing since the 18th century family estate. Originally it was a trading house that bought grapes from contract winemakers and produced wines from them. In the 1970s, own vineyards were acquired and the brothers Antonio and Walter Mastroberardino set new standards in the Campanian viticulture. The vineyards today comprise about 420 hectares of vineyards. It maintains and reactivates especially the traditional old native varieties. These are mainly Aglianico, Coda di Volpe, Greco, Fiano (Latino) and Piedirosso. In 1994, Dr. Antonio Mastroberardino was awarded the "Cavaliere al Merito del Lavoro" award for his services to Italian viticulture. In 1980 there was a severe earthquake, while the destroyed cellars in Atripalda were completely renovated.
It will be the three DOCG wines Fiano di Avellino
. Greco di Tufo
produced. To the DOC wine Vesuvio Lacryma Christi
the winery has made a special contribution. Produced IGT's are for example "Avalon Pompeiano Rosso", which is pressed from Piedirosso (90%) and Aglianico (10%), aged for 12 months in oak barrels and stored for six months in the bottle. The "Avalon Pompeiano Bianco" is made from Coda di Volpe, aged for two months in barrique and stored for six months in bottle. The new IGT "Naturalis Historia" is blended from Aglianico (85%) and Piedirosso (15%), aged for 24 months in barrique and stored for eight months in the bottle. The name was in honor of Pliny the Elder
(23-79) assigned to his main work. In 1994, it was divided into two wineries. Antonio Mastroberardino kept the winery in Atripalda and continues the winery under the family name. Walter Mastroberardino founded the winery Terredora
with his sons Carlo and Paolo. It covers 120 hectares of vineyards.