The traditional winery is located in the municipality of Mertesdorf (Ruwer area) on the outskirts of Trier am Grüneberg in the German wine-growing region Moselle, According to a deed of gift from the King of France Dagobert I (608-639) from 633 it is attested that the Trier Benedictine monastery St. Maximin already owned buildings, vineyards and estates in Mertesdorf at that time. This was then in 966 by Emperor Otto I (912-973), the successor of Charlemagne (742-814) confirmed. Much of the vineyard was created later. Maximin Grünhaus was managed by the Benedictine Abbey until 1802. In the course of secularization under Napoleon (1769-1821) was under French administration until 1810. That year bought after one auction the first secular owner of the estate, which was then bought in 1882 by the great-grandfather of the current owner. The estate has been owned by Maximin von Schubert, son of Dr. Carl von Schubert, led. Dipl. Ing. Stefan Kraml acts as administrator and cellar master.
The closed vineyard location Maximin Grünhaus on the southern slope of the Grüneberg comprises a total of 34 hectares of vineyards with the varieties Riesling (90%), Pinot Blanc (6%) and Pinot Noir (4% are planted. The name "Grünhaus" (am Grüneberg) is probably derived from the isolated veins of diabase (green stone), a marble-like greenish volcanic rock. In addition, the old monastery building was green for centuries. The area consists of the three in soil type very distinct individual layers (from left to right) Herrenberg, Abtsberg and Bruderberg. In terms of quality, they correspond to the monastery hierarchy of brothers (wine for the simple monastery brother), canons (wine for the Maximine canons) and abbot (wine of the abbots of the St. Maximin abbey). All three have been located in the monopoly ownership the family.
Abtsberg, oriented to the southeast to southwest, in the form of a dome at 140 to 270 meters above sea level with 40 to 75% slope Tilt covers 14 hectares of vineyards. It was first mentioned in 966. Viticulture was probably already practiced here in the fourth century. This part lies in a side valley of the Ruwer. It is considered the most prestigious location of the winery. In addition to Riesling, Pinot Noir is also grown here. The subsoil mainly consists of bluish Devonian slate. The best are in the center plots, The continuous surface of the Abstberg forms a smooth transition to the Herrenberg. The floor tends to be shallower and more skeletal than in Herrenberg, which is reflected in the pronounced minerality which reflects wines. The wines are characterized by extreme longevity out.
The south-facing Herrenberg at 190 to 290 meters above sea level with 20 to 60% slope inclines 19 hectares of vineyards. In addition to Riesling, Pinot Blanc is also cultivated here. The part adjoining the descent is very similar in terms of soil conditions and orientation. The rear part is cooler, less steep and is surrounded by the Grüneberg forest. Devonian slate, which appears reddish in the Herrenberg, also dominates here. In the past, the wines were somewhat overshadowed by the Abtsberg wines. Due to the changing climatic conditions, the Rieslings of the two locations are qualitatively equivalent. The wines also have an extraordinary ability to develop and can mature over decades.
The Bruderberg, facing east to southeast, at 140 to 170 meters above sea level with a slope of 50 to 70%, covers only one hectare of vineyards that are planted exclusively with Riesling. It is traversed by a well-preserved Roman water pipe. As in Abtsberg, bluish Devonian slate dominates. The adjacent forest offers strong protection from the northwest cold. An early morning sun and an early evening shade make it the coolest location in our winery, where racy, lively Rieslings are produced.
The wines are mostly made with natural yeasts from the vineyards and cellars fermented spontaneously and in the cool cellars mostly in the traditional large oak barrel expanded. The historical label shows the coat of arms of the von Schubert family and a view of Grünhaus with the vineyards. For the quality and cabinet wines, a white-green one capsule, from the predicate late vintage used a long, black and white crest capsule. The winery is a member of the associations VDP (Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter) and The goods,