Headquartered in Épernay, the champagne house was founded in 1858 by Eugène Mercier (1838-1904). For the 1889 World Exhibition in Paris, he had a huge barrel built with 1,600 hectoliters capacity, which was pulled by 24 oxen (in other sources horses) in three weeks in the capital. The barrel is on display today in the entrance hall of Mercier in Épernay. His goal was to champagne affordable for the average person as well. Built under its founder in 1871, the impressive basement labyrinth stretches for 18 kilometers, 30 meters below the Avenue de Champagne in Epernay. It is driven by a company electric tram. It is worth noting that Mercier was the original owner of the Dom Perignon brand, but never used it. In 1930, the brand was on Moët et Chandon sold, this took over in 1970, the company Mercier. Since 1987 both belong to the group LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy).
About 20% of the grapes come from own vineyards with over 200 hectares of vineyards, especially in the Marne Valley, the rest is supplied by the parent company Moët et Chandon. The predominantly dry Brut champagnes are produced in a Pinot-Noir style. Every year a vintage Champagne "Vendange" is produced, made from the best grapes of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay grapes. Every year six million bottles of champagne are produced. In France, Mercier is still the best-selling champagne, although some other companies produce significantly more, but export large quantities.