The largest wine encyclopedia in the world

23.057 Keywords • 48.243 Synonyms • 5.303 Translations • 28.363 Pronunciations • 155.153 Cross-references

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Montecucco Sangiovese

DOCG area for red wine in the Maremma area in the Italian region of Tuscany. The one previously in the DOC area Montecucco Wine included was highly classified in 2011. The zone extends over around 350 hectares of vineyards. It includes the municipalities of Arcidosso, Campagnatico, Castel del Piano, Cinigiano, Civitella Paganico, Roccalbegna and Seggiano in the province of Grosseto.

It can be the community or Vigna followed by the location name on the bottle label if the grapes come from classified vineyards. These are the locations Stribugliano (Arcidosso), Marrucheti, Montorsaio and Sant'Antonio (Campagnatico), Montenero d'Orcia and Montegiovi (Castel del Piano), Borgo Santa Rita, Castiglioncello Bandini, Monticello Amiata, Castel Porrona, Poggi del Sasso and Sasso d'Ombrone (Cinigiano), Monte Antico, Civitella Marittima, Paganico, Casale di Pari and Pari (Civitella), and Cana (Roccalbegna).

The wine must be at least 90% Sangiovese included, the remaining 10% can be other approved varieties. It has to mature in wood for 12 months and in bottle for 4 months. The alcohol content must be at least 13% vol. With a maturation period of 30 months, of which 24 in wood and 6 in bottle, as well as 13.5% vol alcohol content, he is allowed to Riserva call.

World's largest wine knowledge database, made with by our author Norbert Tischelmayer.

About the Glossary

Calendar EVENTS NEAR YOU To Online-Events

Privacy Notice: ×

Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.