One of the six communities (next to Listrac-Médoc. Margaux. Pauillac. Saint-Estèphe and Saint-Julien ) within the French area Médoc (Haut-Médoc), which are their own appellations and may carry the municipality name on the bottle label. The name derives from the numerous wind and water mills that used to operate here. Also known as Moulis-en-Médoc, it is the smallest of the six, with around 600 hectares of vineyards. The area forms a twelve kilometers long and up to two kilometers wide, running from southwest to northeast stripes between Margaux and Saint-Julien. The prevailing soil consists of deposited gravel on a sandy clay layer. The area is a bit further back from the Gironde and is therefore prone to frost due to the weaker temperature compensation by the river.
There is none of the 61 here Châteaux that at the famous Bordeaux Classification were added to the Grand Cru list in 1855. The community was then for whatever reason not included in the classification, because here were and are excellent wines. Around 30 wineries are classified as Cru Bourgeois and a dozen as Cru Artisan. The red wines in the typical Bordeaux blend ( Rive gauche ) out Cabernet Sauvignon. Cabernet Franc and Merlot are less tannic and develop slightly faster. Well-known wineries are Château Chasse-Spleen. Château Dutruch-Grand-Poujeaux. Château Gressier Grand-Poujeaux. Château Maucaillou. Château Moulin-à-Vent and Château Poujeaux,